August 18, 2008

Top of Timpanogos





A couple weekends ago I took Joshua and two knuckleheads his age up to Timpanogos. We had a fun day hiking up the 7 mile Aspen Grove trail to the 11,749 foot summit. We all came home with some serious sunburns and smelly feet.


When we got to the shelter at Emerald Lake there was a group of emergency rescue dudes looking up at the snowfield through a little telescope and talking on their radios. Turns out some BYU college rookies decided to strap on garbage bags and torpedo glissade down from the top, with no ice ax and no clue. One of them was suddenly stopped mid-glissade by a large boulder and a compound fracture to his leg. We watched the life-flight chopter come in and take the goofball back into town - before we headed on up to the summit.


We saw the usual herd of mountain goats and got pretty close to one of them near the top. Joshua, Ben and Johnny had a blast. Good times. . .

7 comments:

Ken and Linda said...

Your photos bring back memories from just a few years ago when the old man did this hike w/ you & Joshua. The 7 mile hike to the summit was awesome with great views and lots of beautiful flowers. The 7 mile hike back to the car was a killer on the feet. Great to see that you are taking boys to the mountains. Dad

Misty said...

You and Greg have sooo much in common. Sports, hiking and photography. Last trip, he took over 3,000 pictures. We LOVED Moab and want to go again soon. Keep up the good work.

Gillian said...

So you're carrying on the hiking tradition! Good for you! I'm sure the boys loved it. This brings back memories...I hiked Timpanogos back in college with some roommates. Good times.

Karen K. said...

Wow. Looks like fun. I'd probably be hyperventilating and looking for air... I loved the picture of the mountain goat... he looks as if he's wondering what the heck you're doing there! And, I cannot believe the stupidity of some people. That kid is lucky to be alive. ...dingdong

sherrie said...

looks like the boys had fun!

i had a dream with joshua in it last night. he was driving me around in a golf cart running stop signs and i was freaking out. weirdness.

Kristine said...

you rock. love the goat shot. those things freak me out when they come a knockin on your tent door...

are you sure the torpedo glissading dudes weren't being led by the infamous bo? yes, I said infamous. INfamous.

Lindsay Marchant said...

Again...AWESOME PICTURES! I can't believe you got that close to a mountain goat. I would have been scared. If David and I ever get to Utah (the state David HATES!!..."too many mormons" he sayes)I wanna go on some cool adventures with you guys!