
We were warned that our SAR pagers would go off on Thursday evening to signal a mountain rescue training scenario. I anticipated where it would be staged and was pulling up to the parking lot as the page went off, so thanks to a lucky guess - I was the first one on site.
A hiker had fallen in the cliffs of Squaw Peak up behind the Provo Temple (about a 1/4 of the way up on the left of the photo above). I was assigned to go up with the 'hasty team' - which is the first couple of guys that are assigned to blaze up and locate, assess, stabilize the victim and then radio down to scene command in the parking lot to relay details. Two other teams followed, the medical and technical teams - both carrying more gear.
This was definitely my kind of gig.

Above is a photo I snapped of 'Cletus' - our victim with a fractured leg and concussion. We got to rig a pretty sweet belay system, load him into a rescue litter and haul his sorry butt off the mountain - mostly in the dark.
Below is a shot as he was lowered down the mountain.

I didn't get a lot of pics, since there was mucho action - but below is a shot looking over Provo as we finished taking down the belay ropes and headed down. Good times. . .
4 comments:
Wow, that's intense!
Again, awesome shots and action. Yes, this is right up your ally. You will be incharge of SAR on our Mt Rainier climb in July. Dad
is that a dummy? i mean a fake dude, not a dumb dude. pretty sweet that you anticipated where it would be and was first on scene. another great SAR adventure.
Sherrie - The dumb dude was not fake. It was actually Marc, the mountain rescue team lead for SAR. He made an awesome Cletus, though.
Post a Comment