
Sunday evening I heard that Elder Richard G Scott was speaking at a fireside for portuguese speaking members and returned missionaries. Our neighbor also served a mission in Brazil - so the two of us drove up to the Tanner Building at BYU to listen in. It was a cool thing to see an apostle in a small fireside setting - speaking portuguese and cracking jokes.
Afterwards he asked if everyone would take a minute to come over and shake his hand. That is when Larry snapped this photo of me and Elder Scott. Not a bad way to spend a Sunday evening. Laura and I went to a CES Fireside last month at the Marriott Center and saw Elder Jeffrey R Holland.
I've heard a number of good people say that they would not consider living in Utah. They have lots of reasons. However, I scratch my head when a Latter-Day Saint says they won't live here because there are "too many Mormons". That logic confuses me when I think of all the Mormons that will probably be in the Celestial Kingdom. I don't know. . .
We are surrounded by great mountains - with good hiking and awesome skiing. We are in the presence of prophets and apostles several times each year. Our kids go to school and play with friends that share the same values - although there are a couple in our neighborhood that need a good swift wedgie. We have season tickets to BYU football. In an hours drive from home we pass 6 temples and 17 places that serve fry sauce. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems there are worse places we could raise a family.
Understandably, not everyone can live under the Wasatch Mountains, but to borrow a New Testament phrase, I am thinking - "it is good for us to be here". . .
Afterwards he asked if everyone would take a minute to come over and shake his hand. That is when Larry snapped this photo of me and Elder Scott. Not a bad way to spend a Sunday evening. Laura and I went to a CES Fireside last month at the Marriott Center and saw Elder Jeffrey R Holland.
I've heard a number of good people say that they would not consider living in Utah. They have lots of reasons. However, I scratch my head when a Latter-Day Saint says they won't live here because there are "too many Mormons". That logic confuses me when I think of all the Mormons that will probably be in the Celestial Kingdom. I don't know. . .
We are surrounded by great mountains - with good hiking and awesome skiing. We are in the presence of prophets and apostles several times each year. Our kids go to school and play with friends that share the same values - although there are a couple in our neighborhood that need a good swift wedgie. We have season tickets to BYU football. In an hours drive from home we pass 6 temples and 17 places that serve fry sauce. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems there are worse places we could raise a family.
Understandably, not everyone can live under the Wasatch Mountains, but to borrow a New Testament phrase, I am thinking - "it is good for us to be here". . .
4 comments:
I agree! Utah is such a great place. I'm not a big fan of the snow, but otherwise...And that is SO cool about Elder Scott!
Very well said. I am jealous.How can I not agree? I want SO BADLY (is that proper grammar?) to move to Utah so I can go to firesides and see the Tabernacle choir and other LDS music groups and speakers and women's conference and see the lights on Temple Square and look at those gorgeous mountains and be with my FAMILY and friends like you! Yeah, it is good for you to be there. (Make sure Tracey's there to take a picture if you get a chance to impose a wedgie...)
I agree. I've always liked Utah. And now that we're living in Pocatello, full of LDS people, I'm actually enjoying some of the benefits like having a Deseret Book and Distribution Center in the Mall. And Greg Olsen is doing an art show at Costco right now. I love having all this LDS stuff around me! :)
I have wanted to return to Utah for as long as I can remember. It just hasn't worked out for Tim and I to be there. I would do almost anything to be near my family. I love growing up there. Going to temple square to primary outings etc.
Post a Comment